Thursday, August 23, 2012

Relics from the Past

 

Sometimes even rusted junk can take on a new perspective.

So the opening picture is the inside of an old Ford truck sitting under a tree in a local orchard.  After looking at the picture I realized that I probably should have thought twice about just sticking my head into the cab and shooting.  But I'm not sure anything would dare live in there.

What I like about this is the detail one can bring out shooting images of these type of relics.  The rust, decay, and accumulation all come together to give a new perspective, something that isn't obvious just sticking your head in and looking.  I think not seeing the details initially is a combination of the dark interior and worry that a variety of new and interesting diseases and sitting in there just waiting for someone to come along.  This was shot using High Dynamic Range (HDR) techniques.  I wanted to play with all the textures and decay to see what could result.  Sites like this can be a real gold mine for images.



The rust and pits give a nice post apocalyptic feel when you bring out the contrast.  Why I like that may be indicative of a bigger issue that I might have to explore later.  The old truck gives you the classic Ford logo while sitting in the middle of decayed paint and rusted metal.  Decay gives you a gritty feel that's in contrast to a lot of controlled, airbrushed, and smoothed pictures we see a lot today.

Since I talked about post apocalyptic above, I'll end with just that kind of picture.



 Questions or comments?  Just blast away, I'd love to hear from you.  Anyone have similar decay sites they like?

And now it's time to pay the bills.  These pictures, like all the others in this blog, can be purchased.  There is a limited size of prints available if you press the 'Buy Print' button directly below each picture.  If you click on the picture it will take you to my SmugMug site where a much more extensive selection of print options are available.  Everything from standard prints in a large number of sizes to canvas and metal prints ready for hanging on a wall.  If you like something, think about purchasing.  It goes towards feeding the photo addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment